Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Training Plan, Goals and Site Clots.

One of the myriad consequences of diabetes for me is that it's almost impossible to lose weight.  I am very active and eat healthfully most of the time.  Granted, I do like my wine and I really do love cheeseburgers but I normally eat a balanced diet.  I eat heavier on the protein, about 50% of my daily calories, and divide the rest with fat and carbohydrates.  I find that this keeps my blood sugar more stable throughout the day.

But wow, the scale never seems to budge.  It hasn't budged in the past 3 years, after losing most of my second daughter's "baby weight."  I didn't go back to pre-baby weight with her and still cannot get there.  It has become my obsession because one of the easiest ways to get faster as a runner is to weigh less.

While I do not want this blog to focus on my weight obsession (I'd rather focus on my running and diabetes obsessions), it is really tied into both running and diabetes right now.  I want to be lighter and faster and I think it would be beneficial to lose 15-20 pounds as my BMI is hovering around 25.2 right now, which is currently listed as "overweight." 

Which brings me to my current workout schedule.  I started P90x two months ago and fizzled at the end of last month.  I decided to recommit to it because I honestly feel much stronger.  As a matter of fact, I did 2 pull-ups at the park last week. I have not done an unassisted pull up since middle school, damn you Presidential Fitness Test.  My arms are more defined and I just really like the program, although it is exhausting.  I started P90x classic routine yesterday, so I will be working out at home 6 days a week.  I am also following the p90x meal plan as it is easy, I like the recipes and it is basically the same carb-protein-fat ratio that I use. 

On Monday nights, I do Spin or Body Combat and on Wednesday mornings, I do Body Pump at Golds Gym.  My rest day for P90x is Monday.  I also run outside or at the gym on Thursday mornings and try to do at least 2 other runs during the weekend.

So, here we go, Suzanne's BLAST the last 15-20 pound plan:
Mondays   "rest"/Spin or Body Combat pm
Tuesdays p90x am
Wednesdays Body Pump am / p90x pm
Thursdays Run 60 minutes am / p90x pm
Fridays p90x am
Saturdays p90x am / Run pm
Sundays p90x am / Run pm

Intense, right?  So I expect results.  For the next 30 days, I am also doing the 30 day burpee plan.  Yesterday was 8, tonight is 9....except I forgot to do it yesterday.  But I did do 8 on Monday!  Regardless, tonight is 9.

As promised, this blog is about diabetes, running and other forms of exercise.  So this morning, I woke up at 2:00 with a low blood sugar.  I treated it and laid down on the couch to try and fall back to sleep (hubs and #2 were in bed upstairs.  #1 was in her own bed, thankfully).  #2 woke up screaming for me as she is a Mommy's girl so I called her downstairs to snuggle on the couch.  [I get very fitful when my sugars are wonky and didn't want to disturb my poor hubs, who works overnights and only has 2 nights to sleep during the night].  So she promptly fell asleep and I watched 2 hours of Glee and the rest of the DVR'd shows I hadn't yet seen.  My alarm rang at 5:30, so without a lick of sleep, I got up and checked my sugar and went to the gym.

210.  Obviously, I overtreated. I bolused to correct and for my meal and trotted merrily on my way. 

I worked out and it was Great!  I upped my chest and back weights and really felt strong.  And then my pump alarm went off from my CGM.  286, it read.  That can't be right.  I tested.  357.  YIKES.  Clot time.  I put everything away and raced home to change my tubing and settings and give myself a massive bolus.  It took a little over 3 hours, but I'm now at 100.

Diabetes can really ruin a great workout.  Tonight is Plyometrics and 9 Burpees!!

No comments:

Post a Comment